Jack Kilner of Bootle sent off

February 22, 1892
This important Cup-tie in the Lancashire Second Round was played on the Anfield enclosure on Saturday, and much interest being centred in the event there would be about 9,000 spectators present.

Owing to the keen frost of the past few days the ground was not in the best condition and though the referee declared it ‘ok’ for the Cup-tie, Bootle nevertheless, made a protest. Everton placed their strongest eleven on the field, while Bootle were minus A. Montgomery, whose position was taken up by McEwen, from the reserve.

The teams as follow:-
Everton: David Jardine, Bob Howarth, Duncan McLean, Bob Kelso, Johnny Holt, Hope Robertson, Alex Latta, Thomas Wyllie, Fred Geary, Edgar Chadwick, Alf Milward.
Bootle: Dunning, Rose, Smart Arridge, W. Grierson, Billy Hughes, Jimmy Davies, John Clarkin, John Finlayson, Jack Kilner, Jamieson, Jimmy “Punch” McEwen.

Punctually at three o’clock Mr. Roberts got the elevens in line, and losing the toss Kilner started hostilities for Bootle, who from a free-kick at once tested Jardine. Getting away on the left wing Everton lost no time in paying Dunning a visit, who cleared finely. Kelso returned the leather to Geary and the home centre tipping to Chadwick the latter scored with a beauty, three minutes from the start. With this early success the home van gave the Bootle defenders plenty to do. Dunning and Arridge being the most conspicuous in stemming them off.

Milward had a chance at goal, but shot wide. Two corners were given to Everton without result. Bootle worked cleverly down, and Clarkin centring accurately to Kilner, the latter was about to let drive at goal when Holt timely disposed of him, and again Everton were to the frost, when Latta after a brilliant run along the line caused Dunning to fist behind his charge. From the corner kick the ball went sailing through without being touched.

From the goal kick the Northenders combined in pretty style, and getting within range Clarkin shot in. his effort, however, was too weak, and Jardine easily cleared. The home backs were playing a safe game, and kept their forwards well supplied.

Chadwick tried Dunning twice, and Geary had a shy over the bar. Encouraged by the sterling custodianship of Dunning the Hawthornites worked hard, and for a time kept the ball in the Everton quarters, but entrance could not be effected, McLean being in grand form.

Midfield play now followed, until Latta and Wyllie made progress on the right the former finishing up with a straight shot at Dunning, who cleared at the expense of another corner. During the scrimmage in front of the Bootle goal Rose got hurt, and for a couple of minutes play was suspended.

On restarting Geary from a pass by Robertson was given a clear opening the ball was sent spinning off the crossbar. Chadwick was next given an opportunity, but still bad shooting prevailed. Finlayson made a good run on the left, and looked dangerous until the burly ‘Mac’ got in a tremendous kick from which Latta had hard luck by grazing the upright.

Bootle made a strenuous effort to get through, but the home defence proved too strong. Milward easily passed Rose and parting to Chadwick the latter shot straight at Dunning, who was unfortunately impeded by the right back as he was about to catch the ball.

Up to the interval both ends were assailed, but no further scoring was done-the teams’ crossing over with the score: Everton 2 goals; Bootle, nil.

Geary restarted, and the opening exchanges were in favour of the Anfielders, who gained three successive corners. Holt had a shy at goal and then Chadwick gave the Bootle custodian a rather stiff one to deal with. Holt and Kilner at this stage got to loggerheads with the result that Mr. Roberts, the referee, interfered: but Kilner on the game restarting, repeated his steady work, and was ordered off the field. The Everton captain, however, interceded on Kilners behalf. Ultimately the latter returned and shock hands with Holt.

On the game being restarted the home forwards at once attacked and swarmed round Dunning, Wyllie scoring the third point for Everton. Dunning at this point was extremely busy dealing with a shot after shot in a finished style, which evoked cheers from the crowd. Everton playing in brilliant form had many chances at goal, and had hard luck.

From a strong lob by Arridge, McEwan and Jamieson got well down and troubled Howarth, But McLean came to the rescue and drove up the field. After Dunning had saved a real beauty from Milward, the Bootle van, well aided by Hughes and Grierson, forced their way into the home end and looked like scoring by a shot from Finlayson. Jardine. However, cleared magnificently.

Davies put in a useful bit of work as he neatly robbed Wyllie as he was about to shoot. McLean and Arridge in turn defended in first-class style, their kicking being superb. Nearing the finish Everton had a free kick close in but nothing came of it, and Bootle playing for all they were worth, experienced hard lines in not scoring.

A well contested game ended in favour of Everton by 3 goals to nil.
(Liverpool Mercury: February 22, 1892)

Sketches from Cricket and Football Field: February 27, 1892.

Bob Kelso, Everton (Lloyd’s Weekly News: September 24, 1893):


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.