Frequent cries of ‘Play Up, Liverpool’

September 12, 1892
Owing to the brilliant weather and the absence of the premier club from home, the Liverpool ground presented a lively appearance on Saturday. There were about 4,000 spectators and the frequent cries of ”Play up, Liverpool,” naturally called to mind the happiest days of Everton.

The Stockton team was considerably altered from what was advertised, and people were asking in vain for the celebrated Billy Townley. John Miller was still missing from the homesters, and a new man was tried in Glen, who gave general satisfaction. The visitors won the toss, and played with a blinding sun at their back during the first half, which was no considerable advantage.

From the opening exchanges it was evident that a hard game was to be played. Malcolm McVean was soon conspicuous with one of his dashing runs, and fine shots from the forward division severely tried the defence of Charlie Ramsey, Bob Shaw, and Robert McDermid, Jock Smith kicking over the line amidst the greatest excitement.

Liverpool were again making tracks for goal when Andrew Kelvin was ruled offside, and the play was transferred to the other end, Sydney Ross just saving a swift low shot. Robert McClung and Jack Jones put in some pretty work, and the visitors subjected the home goal to a heavy pressure of shots, but Duncan McLean managed to clear in time.

The Liverpool left raced away and obtained a corner, from which McVean scored the first goal. This evidently put Stockton on their mettle, for in a few minutes McClung equalised with an easy shot, the ball rolling past Ross.

Both goals were now visited in turn. McVean was working very hard in the front rank, and twice the ball was passed right across the goal mouth, but Smith and Tommy Wyllie were not at their posts. Half-time arrived, and found the score a goal each.

When McVean restarted, Liverpool were favoured by the sun, and great things were expected from them. A couple of fouls a few yards from the posts gave them a momentary advantage, but it could not be improved upon.

The forward had many good opportunities, but seemed to be unable to put on the finishing touch when required. Fine combination gave the ball to Wyllie, who put in the crowd. Andrew Hannah returned the goal-kick, but McVean again put the ball over. Jones now ran down the wing and go the best of Hannah, but McLean covered and cleared his lines.

Kelvin received and passed to McVean, who shot, and from the re-bound Wyllie notched the winning point. The game now became fast and exciting, both goals escaping very narrowly, and although the teams made strenuous efforts to increase the score, the whistle sounded, and left Liverpool winners of a hard-fought game by 2 goals to 1.
(Source: Liverpool Mercury: September 12, 1892)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.