Liverpool score seven at Anfield

January 2, 1940
Crewe Alexandra lose 7-3.
Liverpool and Crewe Alexandra offered some fine fare at Anfield yesterday, even though on the face of things – Liverpool won 7-3 – it may appear to have been one-sided. For the winners, Nieuwenhuys scored a hat-trick, while Liddell, Busby, Carney and Leadbetter were also on the register.

Stevens, besides getting two of his side’s goals (one from a penalty), hit the post with a good shot. The other goal was scored by Rice.

Conditions were not in favour of a good match, but there was hardly a dull moment from the time Liddell nodded the first goal after two minutes. Crewe were a bit outclassed at times, but they put up a fine show, aided by some players from other clubs, and actually they hardly deserved to be beaten by such a margin. Both sides inclined to play effective but quiet football, and they succeeded admirably.

Liverpool’s wing half-backs made the pace hot for the Crewe defence by going far upfield and becoming extra forwards, so that in the circumstances the work of Cope and Gilchrist was doubly excellent. Busby, in addition to his promptings, headed the best goal of the match after making the way for Leadbetter’s centre plain. The Liverpool defence may not have played particularly well, but with Stevens and Smith the only real dangers in the opposition front line were not fully extended.

Liverpool had a grand wing in Carney and Liddell, ably backed up by Eastham, and most of the danger came from this side of the attack. Carney and Nieuwenhuys both “placed” goals from close range with ease. Even so, Poskett played quite well, and Mansley in the other goal had one grand save to his credit in the early moments.

Result: Liverpool 7, Crewe Alexandra 3.

Liverpool: Eric Mansley, Jim Harley, Jack Tennant, Matt Busby, Walter Halsall, Stan Eastham, George Leadbetter, Berry Nieuwenhuys, Cyril Done, Len Carney, Billy Liddell.
Crewe Alexandra: Tom Poskett, George Gilchrist, Charles Kneale, Arthur Tutin, George Cope, Still, Jack Waring, Arthur Rice, Leo Stevens, Smith, Matt Johnson.
Referee: Mr. S. Roberts (Liverpool).
(Liverpool Daily Post: January 2, 1940)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.