Liverpool avenge

January 29, 1944
A penalty goal decides Goodison derby.
Everton: George Burnett, George Jackson, Jack Jones, Jackie Grant, Tommy Jones, Joe Mercer, Cec Wyles, Eddie Wainwright, Tommy Lawton, Alex Stevenson, Jimmy McIntosh.
Liverpool: Alf Hobson, Jack Westby, Jeff Gulliver, Matt Busby, Laurie Hughes, Jack Pilling, Berry Nieuwenhuys, Jack Balmer, Don Welsh, Cyril Done, Billy Liddell.

A crowd of 40,000 watched the return meeting of Liverpool and Everton, at Goodison Park, today. Everton opened with a confident sort of attack, but Liverpool were just as sure when they attacked. Grant once covered up his captain when things were looking dangerous for the Everton defence, and when Jack Jones made a back-pass to his goalkeeper Burnett had to drive on the ball to prevent the Liverpool man from making contact.

Both sides produced excellent rounds of passing, and Stevenson made a header, which, however, did not reach its, objective because Wainwright in attempting to improve matters, turned the ball away from the goal instead of towards it.

A goal came for Liverpool at five minutes, a goal similar in type to Lawton’s of last week. Welsh gave him a perfect ball, and having steadied himself, Nieuwenhuys put in a great drive which sped to the far side of the net.

There were many sorties full of promise but not fulfilled, although the play was of an excellent quality. McIntosh made a rasping shot which flew over Liverpool’s crossbar, and when Wyles centred to Hobson’s hands Stevenson challenged the goalkeeper who lost possession but was able to sweep the ball away as he was lying on the ground.

Liddell’s Game.
Liddell was having an excellent game, and it was he who had the honours of making the opening for Liverpool’s second goal. He swept through the Everton defence, crossed the ball into the goalmouth, and Welsh, although harassed by two Everton men, was able to push the ball back to Balmer, who left with a simple chance, and made no mistake, scoring at 15 minutes.

Grant was inclined to undertake too many duties. He was here, there, and all over the place, with the result that Liverpool’s left wing often had a free course to goal. One could forgive his enthusiasm, however, for he often got the ball that was destined for another quarter.

What A Shot.
Jackson once kicked-off the Everton goal line when Done shot following a corner, and at 21 minutes a run by McIntosh culminated in the ball running to Stevenson, who sent it further forward to Wyles. Wyles had moved in time, and although tackled he was able to get in his shot – and what a shot. It put a bulge in the back of the net as big a barrage balloon.

Everton were striving all they knew for an equaliser, but Liverpool’s attack were made with such precision that there was a danger of them striking another bow. Welsh made some great passes, so did Busby. Lawton from just outside the penalty area, tried one of his cannon balls, but was off the mark just as one of Liverpool’s big shots failed in this direction.

They were some near misses and some good shots, none better that Stevenson’s which Hobson turned over his bar. Liddell had at least two chances but failed with them both. Everton were now more “together” and one’ particular round of passing by Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh, was a delight to the eye even though it did not produce anything. Balmer put over the woodwork.

Lawton’s Levels.
At 42 minutes Lawton picked up a ball close to goal where it had been handled about for some seconds and swinging round, drove it into the net. Hughes had played brilliantly against the Everton leader and from one stoppage during which the referee spoke to both Stevenson and T. Jones, the game ran along smoothly until half-time.

Half-Time; Everton 2, Liverpool 2.

Almost in the first minute of the second half Balmer ran through from a Welsh pass and Burnett had to take a flying leap to turn the ball outside. The danger was not cleared and during a hot scrimmage in front of the Everton goal Jackson was hurt as Burnett was saving. For some moments Everton clustered around the Liverpool goal, and the Anfielders took their turn and gave the Everton defence quite a lot to do. Wyles perfectly placed, shot badly, but taken all round the game was strenuously fought out.

Welsh’s Penalty.
Balmer twice appeared to go through only to be checked at the final moment. He came again, however, and as he centre T. Jones handled the ball, and the result was a penalty kick. This was taken by Welsh, who scored at the 66th minute.

Everton did not seem greatly perturbed about this, and McIntosh should have equalised, but kicked round the ball and it sliced away behind the upright. Busby was as active as ever with his ground passes, and Mercer followed his example with hook passes to his outside left.

Lawton headed narrowly over and then Liddell swept in with a great shot which Burnett turned outside, while Wainwright from long range, out the ball under the Liverpool crossbar for Hobson to save.

Everton were inclined to play too closely in the penalty area which was in distinct contrast to the Anfielders, for whom Done shot against Burnett as the Everton goalkeeper rushed out to save.

Final; Everton 2, Liverpool 3.
(Source: Liverpool Football Echo: January 29, 1944; via © 2018 Findmypast Newspaper Archive Limited

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.