Newcastle United v Liverpool 1-0 (League match: November 23, 1901)

November 23, 1901
Match: Football League, First Division, at St. James’ Park.
Newcastle United – Liverpool 1-0 (0-0).
Attendance: 17,500.
Referee: Mr. F. Bye.
Newcastle United (2-3-5): Matt Kingsley, Bob Bennie, Tommy Davidson, Alex Caie, Andrew Aitken, Jack Carr, William Stewart, Ronald Orr, Jock Peddie, Robert McColl, Bob Roberts.
Liverpool (2-3-5): Bill Perkins; John Glover, John Dunlop; George Fleming, Alex Raisbeck (C), William Goldie; Tom Robertson, Andy McGuigan, Sam Raybould, Charles Satterthwaite, John Cox.
The goal: 1-0 McColl (65 min.).

United played down the slope, and the visitors, immediately after starting, ran up on the left wing, but they were checked by the backs, and McColl and Roberts made a rush on the left, and enabled Newcastle to drive by. The pace then became tremendously fast. There was little between the teams on the half. If anything Liverpool got into the best positions, but they were weak in shooting for goal.

The second half opened with a fine rush by United, and, though shot after shot was poured in by the forwards, Liverpool so packed the goal as to keep it intact, and Newcastle had to fall back. Peddie and McColl had changed places, and the latter was now in the centre.
Liverpool made their way down, but only effected a weak drive by. Just as the visitors were taking a free kick for a foul the referee decided that the ball was too soft, and it was exchanged for a new one. Directly it had got in motion it was shot in by Raisbeck. Rennie let it go back, thinking it would pass the goal, and Kingsley was also letting it pass, when it turned and hit the upright, and the custodian had to be quick to keep it from rolling into the net. There was a sharp transfer to the other end, where Orr shot in and struck the crossbar, and a second later Stewart rattled in another, Perkins being lucky to save at the expense of a corner. From the latter United gained nothing, and soon had to defend their own goal, at which a good shot was fired by Raybould and saved by Kingsley. For some time Liverpool were in the ascendant, but an exciting dash by Peddie landed Newcastle close up, but the ball was shot on to the pavilion, and as it could not be recovered, another one, apparently the soft one previously discarded, was again requisitioned. Liverpool pressed hard for a while, but were beaten off, only to again return. United worked strenuously and dislodged them, and ran up, McColl got the ball, and when still some 25 yards out he took an easy shot. The ball described an arc on its way, and dropped just beneath the crossbar, passing between it and the goalkeeper’s head. The goal was obtained 20 minutes from the change over, was quite unexpected, and aroused great enthusiasm. In less than a minute McColl had the ball in the net again with another delightfully easy shot, from whom he received it, had been offside. With a sprint Liverpool were at the other end, where an unfortunate accident occurred. Satterthwaite was running in with the ball when Caie came up against him close to the goal line, and both rolled over, Satterthwaite going head first into the barricade. He was at once picked up and removed unconscious, apparently seriously hurt.
(Sunderland Daily Echo, 25-11-1901)

Andrew Aitken, Newcastle United F.C.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.