September 3, 1892
Key note: “If the Lancashire League clubs are all of the Higher Walton stamp they will have a lively time playing against Liverpool. Eight goals to nil is a terrible drubbing, especially when it is considered that the home left wing was upset through the absence of John Miller from the centre.” (Cricket and Football Field: September 10, 1892)
Match: Lancashire League, at Anfield, kick off: 16:00 (timed for 15:15).
Liverpool – Higher Walton 8-0 (5-0).
Liverpool (2-3-5): Sydney Ross, Andrew Hannah (C), Duncan McLean, Percy Pearson, Joe McQue, James McBride, Thomas Wyllie, Jock Smith, Malcolm McVean, John Cameron, Andrew Kelvin.
Secretary: William Barclay.
Higher Walton (2-3-5): John Addison, J.P. Enderby, Ted Craven, J. Gerrard, J. Law, J. Flintoff, R. Law, Parker, Kay, Fowler, Heaps.
Secretary: J. Mather.
The goals: 1-0 Smith (15 min.), 2-0 McBride, 3-0 McVean, 4-0 Cameron, 5-0 McQue, 6-0 Cameron, 7-0 McQue, 8-0 Smith.
* Liverpool Football Echo: “Liverpool hit Higher Walton for eight.”;
* Liverpool Mercury: “Big victory on a dull day.”;
* Lancashire Evening Post: “Liverpool winning 8-0 against Higher Walton.”;
* Liverpool Mercury: “Weekly review”;
* Cricket and Football Field: “The doings of the Liverpool club”;
Malcolm McVean, Liverpool.